The current building was constructed in 1951. A 1956 addition enabled the school to serve grades K-6. Another expansion in 1968 added a media center, cafeteria, auditorium, gym, two classroom pods, and other spaces. In 1988, West was reconfigured to serve grades K-5, in alignment with the district’s other elementary schools.
The current building has 90,611 square feet. Much of the school was built in an open-space concept without classroom walls, causing visual and auditory distractions. In 2001, the classrooms in the two pods were walled in, creating problems with heating and ventilation. Considerable time and expense have been devoted to unsuccessful attempts—such as movable partition walls—to remedy these design flaws that impede teaching and learning.