To: Existing 6th/7th grade families
Subject: Updates in Middle School Chromebook management policy
On May 28, 2020, based on feedback from staff and families, the Andover School Committee voted to approve two important changes:
- It required that Chromebooks be the only approved device for all middle school students to ensure a simplified, uniform experience for all students. Chromebooks can either be purchased by families (called BYOD – Bring Your Own Device) or rented from AndoverIT.
- It further required that all devices whether provided by AndoverIT or BYOD must be “managed” to provide a safe and consistent daily classroom experience.
- Here are a few of the benefits when putting your student’s device under Andover IT management:
- Devices that are managed only allow students to log into their devices using approved school accounts during normal school hours.
- While using these accounts, students are limited to school approved applications and school approved content.
- During non-school hours, students may utilize personal accounts that access non-school applications in accordance with their family’s own guidelines.
While the vast majority of families have followed these guidelines, due to pandemic related needs, some of these guidelines were “grandfathered” for older classes. However, as we prepare to enter the 2022-23 school year, we will take a more consistent approach. Accordingly, at the start of the next academic year, only managed Chromebooks will be allowed to access the Andover wireless network. Unmanaged devices or non-compliant devices will no longer have network access and therefore will be unable to utilize instructional material.
Instructions to enroll your Chromebook under management can be found here:
If you prefer not to place a personal device under management, we strongly recommend that you consider Andover’s Chromebook Rental program. For $130/student/year you will receive a school approved device, maintained by AndoverIT at no cost, that can be used weekends, during vacations and over the summer. For more details on both the management program and device rental refer to our information page: https://aps1.net/2320/Your-Students-Devices
Specific questions can be addressed to the Technology team at email@example.com.
Paul J. Puzzanghera
Chief Information Officer
Town and Schools of Andover MA
30 Whittier Court
Andover MA 01810
Follow me on Twitter @AndoverCIO