Andover Public Schools is always looking to add Substitute Teachers and Substitute Instructional Assistants to our team. Substitutes are vital to our district - in the event of an absence, they help meet our students’ educational needs, provide stability, and ensure that the classroom runs smoothly.
Becoming a substitute in Andover may be for you if:
You are looking for a flexible position - in Andover, you decide WHERE, WHEN, and HOW OFTEN you substitute
You are contemplating a career in education and want some classroom experience
You are a college student looking for a position that accommodates your class schedule or that you can revisit during school breaks
You are a retiree looking for meaningful work without the large time commitment
Andover uses an online absence management system to schedule substitutes, providing you with the unique opportunity to design your own schedule. You can:
Proactively search for upcoming jobs by logging in to our online system or the accompanying app
Receive automated phone calls alerting you to upcoming jobs
Set your individual preferences regarding schools and days of the week, allowing you to be presented with jobs that align with your interests
- Two 2 years of college AND/OR two years of relevant experience working with children
- Strong interpersonal skills
2023-2024 Substitute Rates
Without a Bachelor’s Degree
With a Bachelor’s Degree or Higher
Retired Teachers from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Retired Instructional Assistants from Andover Public Schools
Building-Based Substitutes (assigned to one school and work 5 days per week)
- Application: Click this link to submit your application: Substitute Teacher 23/24 Job Posting
- Phone Interview: Human Resources will reach out to qualified applicants and schedule a phone interview, where we will discuss your qualifications and answer any questions you may have.
- References: Human Resources will conduct a reference check - if you did not include references on your application, please have your references’ contact information ready!
- Onboarding: If hired by the district, you will receive an electronic onboarding invitation prompting you to sign off on policies and complete required forms. You will also
- Absence Management Invitation: 24-48 hours after your onboarding is completed, you will receive an invitation to join Absence Management, the system we use to manage vacancies and schedule substitutes.
Absence Management for Substitutes
- Absence Management Substitute Quick Start Guide
- Absence Management Mobile App (Frontline)
- Absence Management Resources for Substitutes
Any Questions? Reach out to Human Resources at 978-623-8500.