APS Superintendent Search - 2021
|Dr. Magda Parvey is currently Chief Academic Officer of Middletown Public Schools in Middletown, Connecticut. Prior to that, Dr. Parvey served as the Interim Superintendent of City School District of New Rochelle, New York; Chief Academic Officer in New Rochelle; and Assistant Superintendent for Instructional Services in North Carolina’s Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School District. As a lifelong educator with a career spanning over 25 years, she has served in additional leadership positions as a principal, assistant principal and teacher.|
- Video of SC Meeting: Superintendent Selection April 12, 2021
- Video of SC Superintendent Finalists Interviews April 8, 2021
Chronology of Process:
Profile of the Next Superintendent
Through a community-wide survey, 15 focus group meetings, and interviews with district leaders, the profile for the next Superintendent has been determined. Thank you to everyone who took the time to engage in this process.
View the Superintendent Profile
To finalize this profile, community feedback was discussed by the School Committee in a televised workshop on January 28th. The profile provides the basis for candidate selection criteria, job posting and other recruitment materials used by our executive search firm. The posting has been advertised in multiple print and online locations, through Ray and Associates’ extensive networks, and with their professional recruitment team. Candidates were asked to submit their applications to Ray & Associates by February 28, 2021.
View the Superintendent Recruitment Flyer
Preliminary Screening Committee
The School Committee established a preliminary screening committee to perform the following functions:
- screen candidates identified by Ray and Associates for consideration,
- determine candidates to interview, conducting first round interviews, and
- determine finalist candidates to move on to the next step of consideration
The composition of preliminary screening committee, and process for soliciting and confirming membership were discussed and voted by the School Committee at their February 4th and March 4th public meetings. The 11-member preliminary screening committee is comprised of:
1 teacher, Ann McNamee, Screening Committee Chairperson
1 principal, Caitlin Brown
1 assistant superintendent, Sara Stetson
1 program coordinator, Steve Sanborn
1 administrative director, Steve Chinosi
1 facilities representative, Janet Nicosia
1 Town Manager, Andrew Flanagan
2 community members, Emily DiCesaro and Jayashree Mohandas
2 School Committee members, Paul Murphy and Shannon Scully
The hiring process is being lead by HR Director, Jess Porter in conjunction with the executive search firm, Ray & Associates. By statute, the final hiring decision falls to the full school committee.
In order to attract as many qualified candidates as possible, the preliminary screening committee conducted most of its activities in executive session, as allowed under purpose 8 of Massachusetts Open Meeting Law. The names of candidates who have applied for the superintendent position will be held confidential, with only the names of finalists released to the public.
Topics taken up by the preliminary screening committee that fall outside of executive session purposes - such as election of committee Chairperson, deliberation around interview questions, and open meeting minutes approval - were held in open session. Recordings of these meetings are in the AndoverTV archive as a matter of practice:
- Video of open session meeting of the preliminary screening committee March 19, 2021
- Video of open session meeting of the preliminary screening committee March 20, 2021
- Video of open session meeting of the preliminary screening committee March 23, 2021
- Video of open session meeting of the preliminary screening committee March 30, 2021
- Ray & Associates distributed a survey to the community to focus on the desired qualities in the new superintendent.
- 15 meetings held with various constituent groups
- School Committee held a workshop to finalize the profile for superintendent candidates. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Identification and recruitment of candidates by Ray & Associates
- Candidate applications collected and reviewed by Ray & Associates @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Sub-committee of the School Committee established for preliminary candidate screenings and initial interviews
- Candidates selected by Ray & Associates for review by interview preliminary screening sub-committee (March 11)
- Interviews of first round candidates (March 19 and March 20th)
- Determination of finalist candidates by preliminary screening committee in executive session (March 23rd)
- Announcement of finalist candidates (March 25th) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Community Q/A forum with finalist candidates
- Site visits by finalist candidates
- Interviews of finalists by School Committee in open meeting
- Additional community feedback
- Superintendent selection by School Committee @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- January community update, including announcement of focus groups (January 9, 2021)
- Faculty and staff solicitation for focus group participation (January 13, 2021)
- Parent and caregiver solicitation for focus group participation (January 13, 2021)
- February community updates, including solicitation for community members for preliminary screening committee (February 5, 2021)
- Announcement of finalists by the preliminary screening Committee (March 25, 2021)
- Announcement of candidate events by HR Director (March 26, 2021)
- Finalist Candidate Impression Form @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Executive Search and Recruitment Assistance:
In order to best engage the community in this effort and to identify a highly qualified and diverse candidate pool, in November 2020 the School Committee solicited proposals from qualified firms or individual consultants to provide Executive Search Consultant Services. Through that process, defined in M.G.L. Chapter 30B, the firm Ray and Associates was chosen to lead the search in conjunction with the School Committee.
Ray and Associates, Inc. is a professional organization that specializes in school executive leadership searches. The firm has been in the school executive search business since 1975 and has established a reputation for recruiting outstanding candidates that match the expectations of the Board and community. They have also been successful in recruiting women, minorities and non-traditional candidates for school districts.
All of the consultants within the firm have years of experience in the school executive search field. More information on Ray and Associates can be found here Version OptionsAPS Superintendent Search - 2021Headline.