Before assisting a student with toileting, prepare items that may be required to prevent cross contamination
- Ensure soap and water are readily available
- Gloves must be worn when assisting a child with toileting.
- Prepare the area:
- Have a gown available if soiling on personal clothes is a possibility,
- Ensure student’s personal supplies and cleaning supplies are in the toileting area,
- Have extra clothing available for the student if necessary and a bag for collection of any soiled clothing.
- An additional trash bag may be needed for soiled wipes
- Bags should be positioned in such a way that items can be dropped into the bag without contaminating the outside of the bag.
- All supplies should be prepared in advance (e.g. wipes pulled out of the package) to avoid unnecessary touching.
- All staff should already be wearing face masks when working with students and face shields may be needed with some situations if there is any concern that the child may touch your face with soiled hands or if splashing is a possibility.
- Bring the student into the toileting area and put on a gown and/or face shield if needed.
- Place toilet seat cover in place if necessary.
- Assist the student, avoiding unnecessary contact, practicing distancing if possible and being mindful of student safety.
- Help the student with personal cleaning and changing as needed.
- Place any wipes or cleaning materials in open in open trash bag
- Place any soiled clothing in plastic bag for home
- Help the student wash his/her hands.
- Clean and sanitize any areas as needed
- Remove gloves (and gown), before leaving bathroom and dispose of in trash receptacle
- Wash hands
- Remove face shield if used and disinfect it with alcohol wipe and hang in appropriate place
- Wash hands with soap and water.
When assisting with toileting – hands must be washed with soap and running water. Hand sanitizer is not an appropriate alternative.