Cleaning and Safety Protocols
With the resumption of school under a full in-person model or hybrid model, the mere presence of hundreds of students and staff members creates conditions where cleaning and disinfecting is of the highest priority. Per the Centers for Disease Control, COVID-19 can live on surfaces for several hours; therefore, cleaning and disinfecting will be of paramount importance, and will not be a job just for the custodial staff, but the responsibility of all staff and students to maintain, to the extent possible, a clean and disinfected environment.
- General cleaning will occur daily, including mopping, vacuuming, sweeping, rubbish removal and washroom cleaning.
- In the evening, every school will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected by custodians. Evening cleaning will include, but not be limited to the following:
|Desks, Chairs,Tables||Computers and Keyboards||Stair Railings||File Cabinet/Drawers|
|Knobs and Handles (interior & exterior)||Door Push Plates and Door Panic Bars||Fitness Center Machinery||Toys and Learning Centers|
|Sinks and Faucets||Light Switches||Vending Machines||Counter tops|
|Phones||Lockers||Copier/Printer and Fax Controls||Plexi-glass dividers|
- High touch areas will be disinfected several times a day by the custodial staff. This will be accomplished by moving some evening staff to day shift and providing custodial overtime.
- At least twice a day, all restrooms will be disinfected using the Electrostatic Spray Machines. The manufacturer recommends that the disinfecting solution stand undisturbed for at least ten minutes before use of the facility.
- Special consideration will be given to early education areas where children are not required to wear masks. These areas will receive maintenance disinfecting throughout the day and a thorough disinfecting in the evening. Preschool, special education and areas where diapering occurs will receive the same maintenance disinfecting and thorough evening cleaning.
Lunch In The Classroom
- Lunch in the classroom will require students and staff to wipe down desks with disinfectant wipes after eating. Cleaning supplies and gloves will be provided. Custodial and food service staff do not have the capacity to clean every classroom and desk after lunch. PK-5 lunch may be in the classroom or the cafeteria. Lunch locations for grade 6-12 are still being determined based on 6 ft. physical distance requirements.
Lunch In Other Areas
- When lunch is held in large spaces like the cafeteria and gym, the custodial and cafeteria staff will be on hand to disinfect and clean.
Wednesday will be a thorough cleaning day with no in-person learning. Thorough cleaning will include the disinfecting of all classrooms and educational spaces. All touch points will be wiped and disinfected. Restrooms and the kitchen will be cleaned and disinfected.
71-77 passenger buses: The bus company will thoroughly disinfect school buses each evening. The driver will spray-disinfect the bus between runs.
Special Education Vans: Each special education van will be thoroughly disinfected each evening. The driver will spray-disinfect the bus between runs.