APS Return to School 2020
There is no question that the 2020-21 school year will look different than anything we have previously encountered. Our goal remains to continue to provide engaging, high quality education and related services for all. There are many issues to take into consideration including class schedules, remote or in-class instruction, transportation, extracurricular activities, social-distancing, and the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff to name just a few.
The Governor, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH), and the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) will provide directives for the safe reopening of all districts in Massachusetts. The mandates from these officials must also align with the directives from our local departments of Public Safety and Andover’s Health Division. A list of updated communications from DESE is listed below.
Our plans will not only address health and safety, but also how we can learn from the experiences of the past months and enhance our remote instructional approaches.
- Sample Hybrid and Remote Models - Presentation to School Committee - August 6, 2020- August 6, 2020
- APS Feasibility Study/ Preliminary Reopening Plan submission to DESE - July 31, 2020
- Return to School Hybrid Learning Examples Presentation - July 30, 2020
- June 2020 Panorama Survey Results - July 30, 2020
- School Committee Return to School Workshop Presentation - July 23, 2020
- Return to School- July Update- July 13, 2020
- DESE Commissioner provides Initial Fall School Reopening Memo - June 25, 2020
What are the three components districts must provide to DESE in their plan to return to school?
On June 25th, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) released preliminary guidance for the reopening of all Massachusetts school districts.
In summary, all schools in Massachusetts are required to draft three components in the plan for return to school in the fall: An in-person learning plan with safety requirements, a hybrid learning plan in which students learn partially in-person and partially remotely, and a complete remote learning plan. DESE recently released a Frequently Asked Questions document, which holds answers to commonly asked questions.
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Communications
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) will be providing all districts in Massachusetts with requirements and recommendations for re-opening for the 2020-21 school year. The links below provide documents released by DESE. We anticipate this will be updated frequently, please check back often.
- DESE's Additional Staff Training Days - July 27, 2020
- Governor Baker’s Travel Order - July 24, 2020
- DESE’s Fall Remote Learning Guidance - July 24, 2020
- DESE’s Guidance for Courses Requiring Additional Safety Consideration (P.E. & Arts) - July 24, 2020
- DESE’s Fall Reopening Transportation Guidance - July 22, 2020
- DESE’s Fall Reopening Facilities and Operations Guidance - July 22, 2020
- DESE’s Protocols for responding to COVID-19 scenarios - July 17, 2020
- DESE’s Guidance on Fall 2020 Special Education Services - July 9, 2020
- DESE’s Reopening FAQs- July 10, 2020
- DESE’s Initial Fall School Reopening Guidance - June 25, 2020
- DESE’s Message about Summer 2020 Special Education Services - June 7, 2020
- DESE’s Required Safety Supplies for Re-Opening Schools- June 5, 2020
- DESE’s Initial Guidance on Summer School - June 4, 2020
How to Contact Us
The district distributed a survey to all APS families on June 10, 2020 for families to provide feedback. This survey closed on June 19th and we will share the results with the community when they become available.
To provide additional feedback, please email the COVID-19 group at firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous communications from the 2019-2020 school year regarding COVID-19 can be found by clicking the image to the right.
|Lauren Annarelli||Scott Armstrong||Matthew Bach||Jennifer Black||Cindy Button||Sara Calleja|
|Nicole Campbell||Rita Casper||Dr. Kenny Chan||Gina Chaves||Steve Chinosi||Allyson Croswell|
|Linda Croteau||Kathy Crowley||Scott Darlington||Aixa De Kelley||Julie Diehl||Dan Donovan|
|Caitlin Dotolo||Stephanie Driscoll||Heather Eigen||Ryan Fielding||Krista Galligani||Julian DiGloria|
|Carol Green||Matthew Hall||Jennifer Hunt||Susan Hunter -Jones||Melissa Jacobo||Jamie Kaplan|
|Jennifer Kolar||Gail Koutroubas||Chris Krueger||Mysha Kuhlmann||AHS Student||Bill Martin|
|Lisa McDonough||Paul Murphy||Steve Nembirkow||John Norton||Rebecca Perry||Kayley Pettoruto|
|Jackie Pitts||Wayne Puglisi||Elizabeth Raponi||Donna Ruseckas||Suzanne Saindon||Jennifer Sands|
|Amy Schramek||Betsy Spiegel||Jennifer Srivastava||Claire Stahley||Renee Theodorou||Karen Torres|
|Sean Walsh||Mary Lu Walsh||Karen Waters||Tamara Wheeler||Joseph Yarid||AHS Student|