The Andover School Committee has approved a Student Transportation Policy that has been in effect since September 1, 2003, that provides transportation to students in grades 7 – 12 on a fee basis.
The Policy states:
At its discretion, the School Department may furnish transportation to students in grades 7 – 12, based on existing bus routes, provided that the parent(s) or guardian(s) of such students pay a Transportation User Fee in the amount established annually, by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee.
- The deadline for the payment of fees is the last Friday in July (annually).
- The fee established is three hundred dollars ($300). This is the same rate as previous years.
- The fee shall be for the entire school year and shall apply regardless of how often the student rides the bus to and from school; no reductions will be made for students who only ride one way or only ride on particular days.
- Families with more than two (2) students in grades 7 – 12 shall be subject to no more than two (2) transportation user fees. We have a family cap of $600.00.
- No student will be denied transportation because of financial hardship, subject to the attached terms and conditions. Application for free or reduced transportation must be made by the last Friday in July. Families must apply EACH SCHOOL YEAR.
- Student(s) who enroll in the School System after the start of the school year and whose parent(s)/guardian(s) wish to pay the user fee will have the fee determined on a pro rata basis to the end of the school year.
- Student(s) who are enrolled in the School System at the end of the current school year and whose parent(s)/guardian(s) do not initially pay the user fee by the final Friday in July, but wish to do so after that date, will pay and be issued a bus pass if there is sufficient space on the bus. If the school year has started, the fee will be determined on a pro rata basis to the end of the school year, if there is sufficient space on the bus.
Entering the system:
|Sept 1 - Nov 15||100%||$300|
|Nov 16 - Jan 31||75%||$225|
|Feb 1 - May 15||50%||$150|
|After May 15||25%||$75|
All requests for refunds must be made in writing. Please mail the bus pass with the written request to, Transportation Manager, 36 Bartlet Street, Andover. Refunds will be mailed to you as soon as they are processed.
Refunds will be handled on an individual basis and according to the following schedule.
Leaving the system:
|Sept 1 - Nov 15||75%|
|Nov 16 - Jan 31||50%|
|Feb 1 - May 15||25%|
|After May 15||no refund|
School Bus stops will be at centralized locations. Students are not entitled to street-by-street or door-to- door pickup and/or delivery. The distance over the most direct public ways between a student’s residence and the nearest school bus stop shall not exceed 1.0 miles, in accordance with state law.
Once applications have been processed, a permanent bus pass will be mailed home prior to the start of school. The pass must be presented to the bus driver when boarding, both in the morning and afternoon.
If you have any questions, please call Cindy Button at 978-247-7065.